Come & study God's Word with the ladies of Journey Christian Church of New Orleans, Louisiana.

Monday, August 2, 2010

Chapter 14: Jehovah-sabaoth - The Lord of Hosts

"My friend, if you come to the end of your strength and need deliverance, you might seek refuge in a place that seems unnatural to you.  You might turn to...

Jehovah-sabaoth, the Lord of Hosts!"

This is a quote from Kay on the first page of this new chapter.  I couldn't think of a better way to say it myself.  Thanks Kay!


Okay, I did a little extra research on this particular Name of God.  I didn't want it to get lost in a sea of all the others that we've been learning.  I'm so glad I did and I can't wait to share what I learned with you!!!

I looked up what "hosts" means and the Hebrew word for hosts is "Tsaba" - meaning, armies, or warfare.  So what we're talking about here is the Lord over the armies!  I even wrote in my Bible God is my Warrior!

Are you in need of a warrior for your circumstances?  Stop and think for a moment (or perhaps it's ever before you and you don't have to "stop" and think) - What is your war?  What is your current battle?  Could you use someone leading the charge to victory in that battle?!  I know I sure could - and we find that "someone" in Jehovah-sabaoth!

He is Lord over Armies!  I like that I can find a military name for my God - especially since I know I'm at war with this world!

I love how Kay further describes this character of God.  It is not a name for you to call upon if you have given up and no longer want to fight!  Rather it is the name of God you call upon when you feel like failure is imminent and you are desperate for deliverance!  "This is the name for those who find their resources inadequate in the midst of a struggle", says Kay.

(just another little extra - if you have an NIV Bible and do not find "Lord of Hosts" in the scriptures we're about to read - this translation has replaced Hosts with Almighty)

So where do we first see Jehovah-sabaoth in the scriptures?  1 Samuel 1:1-11.  Go and read this passage.  We see Hannah crying out to Jehovah-sabaoth when she was desperate for a child.   She was at the end of her emotional rope of taking the abuse from Peninnah and she went to the Lord of hosts!

Another time that we see Jehovah-sabaoth is with David.  Aren't you glad?!  David fought many battles - I, for one, am glad to to know that he called on the Lord of the armies - aren't you?!

1 Samuel 17:42-47.  Read the entire passage - but the verse I want us to focus on is verse 45.

"You come to me with a sword, a spear, and a javelin, but I come to you in the name of the Lord of hosts, the God of the armies of Israel, whom you have taunted."

Ouch!  Little young David has brought the big daddy of the army to this one-on-one fight.  The sword, the spear, and the javelin and being a giant - doesn't even stand a chance!!!

What giant holding a sword, spear, and javelin are you facing today?  
Call on Jehovah-sabaoth!!  And He will rescue you!

I can think of no better verse to end this chapter than Zechariah 4:6

"Then he answered and said to me, "This is the word of the Lord to Zerubbabel saying, 'Not by might, nor by power, but my My Spirit, says the Lord of hosts."

When you are at the end of your resources in whatever battle you're facing - say this verse!  Not by might, not by power, sword, spear, or javelin - but by Jehovah-sabaoth!

As my Husband & army Dad would say... Hoo-Ah!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you so much for sharing your heart with us all! I look forward to praying with and for you as we study God's Word together.